The Teen Pregnancy Prevention Task Group's goal is to
decrease by 10% the number of live births to teenage girls less than 17
years of age by 2015.
Steps to reach this goal:
• Increase the number of family planning services throughout Bradford County.
Implement a comprehensive, research-based sex education program that is
consistent in all of the school districts in Bradford County.
• Empower parents to talk with their children about sex and the consequences of unprotected sex.
• Bring an STD clinic to Bradford County.
Did you know?
• 19 girls in Bradford County under the age of 17 gave birth in 2005 (PA Department of Health data).
in 4 people nationwide have a Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD) and
Bradford County does not have a free STD testing site (PA Department of
• Teen childbearing costs U.S. taxpayers at least $9.1 billion annually*
• 10% of all 13-year-olds have had sexual intercourse.*
• 50% of all teenagers have had sex by the time they enter 10th grade.*
• One in every five teenage girls will become pregnant during high school.
• Half of all teenagers don't believe that oral sex is sex.*
• By the time they finish high school, two-thirds of all young adults will have become sexually active.*
*(The National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy)
Teens said that parents influence their decisions
about sex even more strongly than friends, religious leaders, and
• Parents talk to your children!
• Parents maintain a positive and close relationship with your teen.
• Parents discuss sex, love and relationships with your children...be candid...be clear...be honest
• Supervise your children, know who they are with and set curfews
• Parents know who your son or daughter is dating,
remember age difference between partners of two years or more is a risk
factor for early sex and pregnancy.
• Remember, teens need health care but not the same type
of health care as when they were toddlers or in grade school.
Parents Check out these Links:
Task Group Meets: see Calendar / Meeting Dates